Monday, October 24, 2011

This is what happens when you overexert yourself...


As some of you may have (hopefully) noticed, I was forced to take a brief hiatus from blogging last night. This was not by choice. We forgot the laptop in the car…its kind of a hike from the NICU to the parking garage. We are both lazy, and Im technically not supposed to walk anywhere…plus we’ve had a rough couple of nights.

his hat is a bit too small now!
Don’t worry, Rowan is doing great. This time, the issue was ME! Specifically, my c-section incision. Which has decided that it wanted to be INFECTED! And if you think that sounds like a ball of fun, wait until you hear how they “FIX” the problem.

he likes to hold his pacifier...
There were basically two options. They could admit me to the hospital, and give me fluids and painkillers, and do some sort of surgical magic to drain and treat the infection, and then sew me back up, and send me on my way, eventually. This is not ideal for a few reasons. 1.) I need to see Rowan. Daily. Or I go insane. 2.) I also need to be able to be home (in Plattsburgh) to see Abbie on our days with her. 3.) SO not in the mood to live in a freaking hospital bed. Its not my style.  The OTHER option was that they could give me like 7 injections of lidocane to numb the area around the infection, then they could go in and cut open a couple inches of the incision, and stab me with more lidocane, and then use half a liter of saline to clean out the infected area, and then pack it full of iotaform, and cover it with  a non stick pad. Guess which they did. Yep. We are currently playing the lets-let-hannah-hang-out-with-her-csection-incision-gaping-open game. It’s a LOT of fun. Oh and did I mention that Jason gets to pull all the packing out and repack and redress it TWICE a day? He loves it im sure. Thank god they doubled my dose of vicodin. Or I might have ripped off his face.

This is his list of firsts <3
Now, on to the star of our show…Mr. Rowan is doing extremely well still. He did spike a little fever overnight (Saturday night), and they are assuming it may be caused by the catheterization every three hours. They’ve since decided to go ahead and only do it every six hours. We are still waiting on his cultures to come back so we can see what sort of bacteria we were dealing with. But by the time we arrived in the morning (after sleeping in since we got home from the ER at 1 am) his fever had already gone down and they were going to start him on a round of antibiotics. He seemed to feel fine, if maybe just a bit tired.

His head circumference was about half a centimeter higher today than the past four days. This isn’t cause for concern, and can probably be chalked up to the fact that our little guy is starting to GROW! He weighs 2 lbs 12 ounces now, so hes almost back up to his birth weight (2 lbs 14 oz) and it’s a 3 ounce gain in only afew short days. He must love the food hes getting, even though he cant taste it yet…

this is how he sleeps...and drools...
We bought a new camera today, so now our picture of him will be even CUTER! YAY! Both Jason and I got to hold him for a couple of hours each today. He slept the whole time on both of us. His stats remained at 99-100% the whole time he was on either of us. He loves us. He snores when he sleeps, probably because of the breathing stuff in his nose…but its still super cute. He also sleeps with his mouth wide open. Fly catcher. And he got a big case of the baby hiccups right as we were putting him back in bed after he slept on me for two hours. Such a sweet baby <3  He also got to nap on Jason for a couple of hours while I visited the ER trying to figure out if I could get more painkillers….It was the sweetest thing, and I got some AWESOME pictures…We love our little guy so much <3




hes definitely smiling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment