Monday, October 17, 2011

I want to hold your hand...10/16/11


I wear my sunglasses at night...
So today, we took a while to get over to Fletcher Allen. We had to do a huge load of laundry…took forever to dry…it was about 3 by the time we finally got over here…I was going a little nuts…I wanted to see my little dude! We had a different nurse again today, but she was so nice, I liked her immediately. That also might have something to do with all the good news she gave us as soon as we arrived!









At some point during the morning, Rowan decided he didn’t want his foley catheter in anymore, so he pulled it out. Luckily, the balloon was not inflated, so it didn’t hurt him, but they decided to see how he would do without it in, and he was doing AWESOME peeing all on his own! Never thought id be so excited about urine!
snuggles <3

so peaceful...
She also told us that about 4 hours before we got there, they took him off sedation completely. No more fentanyl! And he seemed to be doing really well without any pain meds! Maybe now we can get him to open his eyes!

Dr Pfister came in at one point also to tell us that the sodium retention issue we had discussed yesterday seemed to be going away on its own. He wasn’t sure why, but in his own words “ill take it!” basically this means that Rowan is peeing more appropriately, instead of just peeing water, and holding all the sodium in his body.

cutest hat ever <3
I had to pump almost as soon as we got there…and when I was done, I went back in Rowan’s room. The nurse was talking to a nurse practitioner and the NP looked at me and said I hope you enjoy your holding time! I was like “HUH?!” and Rowan’s nurse said to me that they had spoken with the neuro surgeon, and everyone feels that it would be in Rowan’s, and my, best interest, if I got to hold him today and get some skin to skin contact. They had me take off my shirt, and put on a hospital gown, and I lied down in a recliner and they placed that little 3 pound miracle on my chest, and I held him for over an hour. We had a nice little chat…I told him all about his family, and all the people who love him, and that we are beyond excited to bring him home when he is ready. We sang some songs too…the Beatles, Peter Paul & Mary, some good stuff. He liked it. He slept quite soundly…. <3

Napping <3
He started getting pretty squirmy after about an hour and 15 minutes…and my back was getting pretty sore so we decided it was time for him to get back in his bed for the night. The nurse lifted him off me, being assisted by the respiratory therapist who was helping to move all of his tubes and wires…and they set him back in his bed…he left a lovely string of drool on my chest…and some pee….the little stinker peed on me!
As we were getting ready to leave, we were given the results of his daily cranial ultrasound. There is slightly more fluid in his brain than there was yesterday, but not very much. This is something we have been prepared for the entire time, so we are not overly concerned with it. It would be great if it didn’t become a real issue, but chances are he will need to have some sort of surgical intervention to stop the buildup of fluid on his brain.
this is our room at the ronald mcdonald house...jason put the mattresses together<3
Tonight is our first night staying at the Ronald mcdonald house. The house is huge! Our room is on the third floor.. thank god for elevators! And there are a bunch of cakes and cookies and cupcakes in the kitchen we can eat, along with other food haha. Our room has two single beds…which is a big change from our king sized bed….but the mattresses are memory foam! So we will make do. We have to be to the hospital between 9 and 930 tomorrow morning so we are there for rounds and get a chance to talk to the doctor J  I have no internet connection at the house, so I will have to remember to blog from the hospital before we leave….

1 comment:

  1. I was there for ten weeks and the days blended into one another but being there for rounds was the highlight of my day whether the news was good or bad it was just so good to have an understanding of the day to day stuff. I am so happy you were able to hold him and that they are weaning him from the pain meds, my little man became so dependant on the pain meds they had to use other drugs to get him off...crazy circle. He seems to be a very strong little man so he will probably be growing by the minute, take lots of pictures at almost two its so hard to believe my little man was ever that little:) Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete