Tuesday, October 18, 2011

If I just breathe...

I had a very restful night's sleep, which  I definitely needed. I think the events of the past week are starting to catch up to me...I could sleep for a month...but I'd rather be with our little guy than be asleep...
Naptime <3


itty bitty tootsies!

itty bitty fingers




We arrived at the NICU around 8:30 this morning. We had the same nurse today that was there yesterday, and she told us that Rowan had a really good night, and that he was doing alot better breathing over the ventilator, and she mentioned that theres a possibility he could be taken off the vent today. I think he liked the sound of that...

I can hold my own pacifier...im kind of a big deal!
During rounds, the med student assigned to Rowan said again that the ventilator could probably be taken out, as long as the respiratory therapist and everyone else involved, agreed that it would be a good idea. Everyone agreed! So we got to hear amazing news first thing in the morning! Along with the news that everything else is going extremely well! Our little guy's lungs are strong enough to do their job without (much) assistance!

The respiratory therapist came in to take out the ventilator tube, and she showed us the apparatus thats involved with the CPAP that they were going to put Rowan on. Its quite an interesting little hat/headband system. it looks like alot more stuff on him, but really its better than that silly tube down his throat! AND we got to see his face without tape or anything on it! he was very displeased, so the pictures we got were not exactly smiles and rainbows...but hes still so cute!

This is my slick new hat...and my pacifier...we like both...I am stylish!
He even started crying a bit...so the nurse went and got a pacifier for him. It took a few minutes but he seems to really like it. Jason comforted him until he fell asleep <3 and then we went to lunch...

When we came back after lunch, the respiratory therapist told us that Rowan was doing TOO well on the CPAP machine he was on, so they were going to change it to a different smaller machine later today or tomorrow. We also learned that tonight they will be removing the arterial line thats running into his umbilical stump, and replacing it with a PICC line in his arm. He has another busy day ahead of him tomorrow!

THIS IS NOT OKAY!
He's quite the feisty little trooper! I cant wait until one of us can hold him again...hopefully tomorrow! We have to go back home tomorrow night to take care of abbie, and hopefully we will be able to balance time with her and time with him and not neglect either....thats going to be the tough thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment