Saturday, November 12, 2011

I am a Mother Lion...

Anytime the caller ID flashes any number from Fletcher Allen, my heart stops beating. literally, I cant breathe, because the first thing that pops into my mind is "Oh no, what happened?". So, when I saw the number come up only a few hours after we had called to check on Rowan, thats exactly what happened. I had been napping, and felt my cell phone ring. I didnt look at it right away because I was really tired and really wanted to continue my nap. Besides, I cant answer my cell at home anyway; we have no reception here at all, so I figured whoever it was would leave a voicemail, or call the house phone if it was important. Then the house phone rang. I glanced at my cell to see who the missed call was from, so I assumed it was the same person calling the house. It was.

Dr. Cole said to me "I have some good news". Well, that calmed me down immediately, and totally changed my attitude towards the entire conversation. He was calling to tell me that Rowan was stable enough that they felt comfortable sending him to the transitional nursery. There are only 9 beds down there, and its much quieter and more relaxed than the NICU, so we were thrilled! I couldnt wait to get over there on thursday to see him and check out his new spot! We werent expecting this until later this month or early december, so I was SUPER excited and proud of our little guy for doing so great!

The transitional nursery was exactly what Id been told it was. QUIET. no alarms going off all over the place all the time, no 15 screaming babies, just a very laid back atmosphere, which I feel is probably better for Rowan anyway. Not to mention theres a bathroom IN the nursery! AND the Ronald McDonald family room is right down the hall, instead of down the hall, down two floors, down another hall or two... (lazy girl likes her hot cocoa to be easily accessible [if anyone needs a christmas gift idea: I WANT A KEURIG]) Oh, and now we get to put the little guy in clothes! SO CUTE! My Aunt Bev sent us some cute outfits for him, which I will be trying out this week (pictures to come in a few days! theres a pointy hat involved, THATS how cute they are!)

We had to stay in Plattsburgh yesterday, because Jay had to work, and Abbie had the day off from school, so we of course called the nurse to see hwo Rowan was doing. Apparently overnight his head circumference had gone up quite a bit (it had been stable for a week), so the neurosurgeon decided that the nurse needed to tap his reservoir for the first time. They removed 10 cc of fluid through the reservoir. He seemed to perk up quite a bit after that, even though Im sure he was none too pleased with the situation. Thankfully the reservoir is doing its job, and thats all we can ask. When I called later that evening, his nurse told me that they were preparing him for his eye exam. I dont know exactly what that entails, but I have heard from a few former NICU mamas that it is very unpleasant to witness. I know they have to put clips on his eyes to keep them open. no fun. poor bug.





When we arrived at the hospital today, we went to the transitional nursery, where we THOUGHT our child was. Well, his spot was empty. We thought maybe they shuffled things around and he was in a different spot. Jay asked the nurse, who told him that Rowan had been moved back upstairs. Well, that was the beginning of quite a clusterf*ck. We went upstairs, with Abbie, and Jason's dad (who had come to see the baby) and Jay and I went in the NICU, while his dad stayed in the waiting room with Abbie, so we could see what was going on. I had to ask the secretary where my child was. Once we found him (shoved way in the back by the outside windows, with barely enough room for us to even fit next to his bed), his nurse came over, and I asked her FIRST why was he moved and second WHY THE HELL were we not informed that he had been moved. She apologized (i knew it wasnt her fault), and explained that overnight he had had a few alarms where his heart rate would drop, and he would self correct, but for whatever reason they felt they needed to move him upstairs. We were also told that he had had no alarms at all since being brought up to the NICU. I had to go downstairs to get my pumping kit so I could make some foods for Rowan, and I was talking with the nurses, who all basically said that they saw no reason why he was upstairs, since he gets the same care with the same staff downstairs. I was pretty livid by the time we left for lunch, and told the nurse that I would be back to talk with the attending physician.

We went to lunch at Al's French Fries. yum-o! When Jason dropped me off at the hospital (since im the assertive one), he took Abbie to toys r us, and I made my way upstairs. As I was walking through the NICU to Rowan's bed, the Nurse Practitioner stopped me and said GOOD NEWS! we are sending him back downstairs! YAY! She mustve been told that I was coming back and that I was not amused. Because I am the mother lion. I dont like people messing with my cubs. It was pointless to have him upstairs. We spoke with neuro, they saw no reason to keep him upstairs, we spoke to his nurses, both upstairs and down, and the NP, and no one could really give me a reason why they were keeping him up there, or why they even brought him up in the first place. Nor could they explain why no one had bothered to freaking call me. I mean christ, when he had a teeny fever they called me at 7 am. youd think they would know that it would bother me a TAD to go to see my baby and have him be GONE.  I admit, I flipped out alittle bit in my head...but in any event, the issue was resolved before we left for the day...

My baby shower is tomorrow, and Im SUPER excited! It will be a little strange not being pregnant at my baby shower haha...but im excited for good food, good people, and presents for our little munchkin! Back to Vermont Monday-Wednesday...

OH, and his cranial ultrasound on thursday showed that the PVL may have stopped growing (YAY!) He will conitue with his twice-weekly ultrasounds, so we should know for sure by Monday or Thursday....We love him so much and hes been so strong...I hope he continues on this road...

No comments:

Post a Comment